"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Thursday, July 13, 2006

Intro - A New "Older" Voice

Hi,

I'm a new contributor to this blog.

I'd guess I'm a "bookend" for you Malachi - I'm 55 years old and got in my first men's consciousness raising group I think in 1981. I then went to my first men's gathering where I was exposed to lots of Gay, Bi as well as Het Men, helped organize a larger men's gathering and got very involved in the Pro-Feminist Men's Movement. In 1983 I helped co-found Men Stopping Rape, Inc. of Madison, Wisconsin and later founded The Men's Anti-Rape Resource Center (it's now retired).

When my son was born on my 36th birthday in 1987 (he attends Cornell University) I became involved with fathering issues editing the National Organization for Changing Men's Fathering Newsletter. After moving to the San Francisco Area in 1989, my men's work dwindled due to work and family and other things.

I recently moved and now live with my step-sons and second wife in a gorgeous house in a Pacific Northwest (U.S.) City. On July 1st, 2006 I officially retired. I will be tutoring in a public school in the fall and doing other volunteer work as well as househusbanding. In May, 2006 I started my own blog which is at: www.geoisphere.blogspot.com. I anticipate focusing my feminist related writing more here, rather than there.

I'm always open to questions, constructive criticism, etc.

Thanks!

Geo

No comments: