"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Violence, Bullies, and the Right Time and Place

{Ok, it's a long one. But I figured since my long treatises of how I became a feminist have encouraged exactly ZERO comments, I'd just forge on ahead and see if we can get into the negative numbers of comments with more and more long posts.}

Kissing Feministe's Ass
Have I mentioned how much I love Feministe? I must admit that I mostly enjoy Jill's posts; though both piny and zuzu often have some great insights, I think I just like Jill's writing style the most. And, of course, I still miss Lauren's thoughts on feminism, though I thoroughly enjoy her new-er work in Faux Real. One thing about Jill is that she often has a combination of really long-ish, drawn-out posts, combined with discussions of pop culture, which I find good and necessary and powerful.

Friday Random Violence
All of which is to preface that I feel sort of weird complaining about a recent post of Jill's that is pretty much totally about pop culture. It's not even a normal content-filled post, because it's part of the Friday Random Ten feature. Jill posted the video to a Lilly Allen song:

I had no idea who this was until this video, but I could immediately relate to the feelings behind the song--getting dumped by a jerk sucks, and revenge fantasies can be quite healthy and comforting, I think. And I'd guess that lots of people can identify with feeling happy when a jerky ex feels sad. Showing my age: Many were the hours I spent listening to Cyndi Lauper's "I Don't Wanna Be Your Friend" and The Mountain Goats' "No Children". As I said, it's comforting.

That said, the video (not the song itself, since there doesn't seem to be any violence implied in the lyrics alone) freaked me out quite a bit, and I thought that I'd mention it in the comments there:
I may be overreacting here, but the first ‘prank’ pulled in that video seems really disturbing to me. Perhaps it’s because I have known several people who were accosted in a similar way, and seen the way even ‘mildly’ getting the crap beat out of you can damage you, long-term. I know that such a portrayal pales in comparison to the amount of violence against women portrayed in various media, but it still freaks me out. I’d be curious if anybody else had a similar reaction?

At least one person seemed to agree, but what ensued wasn't a discussion of the violence, but rather some short discussion on the merits of Johnny Cash.

Time and Place
I'll have to admit that I was pretty disappointed to not get any sort of reaction from Jill to my comment about the violence in the video, and disappointed that few others seemed to care one way or another. I was tempted to say something again over there, but decided that this was a perfect opportunity to check my privilege. It's not my right in any way to get feedback from Jill. There are lots of possible reasons that I didn't get much of a response, from the fact that few people read/post comments on the FRT posts to the fact that moderating and responding to comments on a blog such as Feministe must be something close to a full-time job. I already have to pick and choose what I respond to here on Feminist Allies, and we get a few comments a post on average. So, sure, I was very interested in what Jill might have thought about the violence, but if I had in any way demanded such a response, that would be akin to becoming something like the sort of bully, ironically enough, that I thought the woman in the video--and her friends--were being.

I don't want a cookie here. This is all by way of saying that I came thisclose to being an ass over there, which sort of sucks, but in another way helps me to understand when others forget to check their privilege when dealing with me. In addition, I'm happy that I have the space here on FA to talk about it--this is the right place to do so.

Bullies and Violence
As I had said in my comment on Feministe, I know that the violence perpetrated in the video pales in comparison to both the amount and depth of violence against women portrayed in various media. (Yet another reason to not make such a big deal of it over on Feministe.) Still, the violence bothered me, and I don't think that ignoring that is healthy for me--and that discussing it, drawing some attention to it, is something worthwhile for me to do as a feminist, and as a man.

My first reaction to the video is mostly visceral. Paying somebody to beat the crap out of somebody else just makes my skin crawl. It's an exercise in power dynamics that is at the core of what it means to bully people (i.e. having enough money/capital/influence to get somebody else to do violence to your enemy). Paying somebody to damage somebody else's property is up there on my list of wrongs, but it just doesn't have the same feeling as paying somebody to beat somebody up, potentially causing great physical and emotional harm, long-term. Are there people who 'deserve' to get beat up? Maybe. Rapists come to mind as one possible example. But even if we agreed that some people 'deserve' it, it still ought to be a last resort and only in extreme cases, rather than a way to get over one's heartbreak.

But this is just a video, some people might say. And I'd tend to agree on some level--but that's part of the irony of this situation: Jill is one of the people who has taught me (along with Bitch magazine and Feministing) that it's never 'just' anything with pop culture. Pop culture has power, and begs to be better understood and analyzed through feminist lenses.

But What About the Men?--Where I Stroll Into MRA Country
And I find myself thinking: What if the gender stuff was reversed in the video? What if some guy was hiring people (who are of two genders, interestingly enough) to beat up his ex-girlfriend, so he could enjoy seeing her cry? I think that would outrage me even more. Why? Well, in part because I think that women already get much, much more than their fair share of these sorts of portrayals in the media, not to mention lots of real-life violence in real life. I mean, crap, they make whole movies that revolve around physically harming women because they are women. (There are lots of movies about violence being done to men, but often the fact that they are men isn't the central reason for the violence.) It may also be the case that I would feel more outrage if the genders were 'reversed' because to whatever extent I buy into patriarchic bs (see below).

And I want to be careful here, because I am *not* saying: Men are oppressed because people don't see the violence done to the guy in this video as a big deal. But I do want to say that it's interesting that I am more easily bothered by the violence against that guy--partly because I identify with him on some level, as a man--than perhaps Jill or the other-than-male-identified people who read Feministe might be. Perhaps this is one of the places where men may be able to better recognize the ways in which patriarchy hurts men?

Patriarchy Hurts Men
And here's how patriarchy is working in and around the violence in this video. This is not an exhaustive list, but rather just some pointers into better understanding it all.

  • It's patriarchy that helps us to less often see violence done against men as a big deal, by reinforcing traditional conceptions of masculinity such as uber-independence and able-to-get-beat-up-and-come-out-of-it-alive types of strength.
  • Similarly, it's patriarchy which helps us to think that it's ok for a woman to hire people to beat up a guy, even though it more obviously wouldn't be ok for a man to hire people to beat up a woman--and patriarchy does this once again by reinforcing traditional conceptions of masculinity and femininity, in the minds of people of all genders.
  • It's probably also patriarchy which keeps some men from voicing their concerns about the violence portrayed against men--fearing they may be thought of as 'less than' in some way.
  • Also, patriarchy keeps us locked into traditional conceptions of women, too, as regards this video--after all, it might even be more cathartic for her to beat the crap out of the guy herself (and given the actual people in the video, I think she could take him, size and weight and all that).


Thanks for letting me get all of that off of my chest.

14 comments:

Sage said...

On a related topic, as children, why are little girls encouraged to believe that boys and men have no pain receptors? The patriarchy I suppose.

When little girls kick boys in the crotch at my kid's school, the teachers don't punish them. They view it as innocent play even when it happens repeatedly. And when my husband went to a friend's to do some re-wiring, their 8-year-old kept following him around, kicking him in the shins and laughing about it. He said by the end of the day he was doing all he could to stop himself from giving her a backhand. The parents think she's just adorable since she can take on a big strong man.

I think it's great to teach girls to be strong - but not abusive. Sheesh - why do I even have to clarify that!

eric said...

I'm uncomfortable with violence of all kinds, but I really don't see any comparison holding up. I think, in fact, that more than this video exemplifying how patriarchy hurts men, your reaction to the video exemplifies how sensitive men are about their privilege.

I'm not trying to attack here, I've noticed it in myself as well. It feels shitty to be among the oppressors, especially when it wasn't your idea in the fist place and you wouldn't have voted for it.

But violence against a man is not violence against all men, and this video does not seem to imply anything specific about gender rolls. As soon as there is one video where the violent power is wielded by a woman over a man we're going to balk? This is some sort of reversely-oppressive aspect of patriarchy? Maybe, in the sense that the patriarchy is obsessed with violence and control, but that's nothing special to this video.

The only thing different here is that a woman is finally the violent one. It's about time. Not for the violence of it, but for the reversed rolls.

Men will go to great lengths to argue which films are and which are not actually quite misogynist, but as soon as we see a woman doing the violence, gender-based or not, we scream reverse sexism of some sort. I just don't think it holds much water.

Anonymous said...

Hey Jeff,

This post reminds me of our previous discussion about "misandry," sexism against men. I know we didn't agree on everything in that discussion, but I think this video, and the thread, are good examples of some of the things I was getting at.

There are two things that really freaked me out too about the thread on Feministe. The first was obviously the music video. The punishment she mounts on him is not proportionate to his actual crime, cheating on her with the girl next door. The creepiest part was where she says she smiles to herself over the abuse she is perpetrating on him... like when the camera cuts from her friends beating him to her smiling from around the corner. That is fucking sociopathic. Except it's even worse, because she knows what she is doing is wrong (she says she feels bad for a while), but she still chooses to try to ruin his life.

This is NOT a feminist music video. The boyfriend cheats on her, so she sits around in her house until she gets the idea to take revenge on him. She doesn't even do it herself, she pays other men to do most of it; vassals who do the bidding of their lady. Her response is completely passive aggressive. She pretends to be nice to him, while doing nasty things to him behind his back. Why doesn't she just tell him he is a jerk for cheating on, refuse to let him whine over the phone to her, and move on?

The second thing that disturbed me was the unwillingness of the people on Feministe to condemn the problematic moral aspects of the music video (except one or maybe two people). I don't think anyone in that thread actually condones the violence of the music video, but they seem to condone the moral view of the video, which suspends empathy for men and substitutes revenge for justice.

sure, I was very interested in what Jill might have thought about the violence, but if I had in any way demanded such a response, that would be akin to becoming something like the sort of bully, ironically enough, that I thought the woman in the video--and her friends--were being.

Jill posts a video that condones abusive attitudes towards men. You call her on it. You get basically ignored. How would you be an asshole to protest this response? The only assholes here are those who condone abusive attitudes towards other human beings. I don't agree with your perception that you would somehow be bullying to point this out.

And I find myself thinking: What if the gender stuff was reversed in the video?

To take this one step further, imagine if you posted that video on your blog, with no criticism of it. Then imagine that feminists called you to account, and you ignored them. Who would be the asshole here, them, or you?

I agree that it probably works better to talk on Feminist Allies about the video than in the thread, from a standpoint of avoiding feminists criticizing you, telling you to check your privilege, etc. Yet no matter how much privilege you have, it doesn't make you wrong that the video exemplifies morally problematic attitudes, and that the apparent condoning of those attitudes by posters in the thread is also morally problematic.

This is an excellent example of why I don't identify as a pro-feminist man, because I would feel silenced if I had to subordinate my moral sense to stay in the good graces of feminists.

It's probably also patriarchy which keeps some men from voicing their concerns about the violence portrayed against men--fearing they may be thought of as 'less than' in some way.

Yes, and feminists who ignore those concerns are part of the problem. (This is by no means all, or necessarily even most feminists, but it's still an attitude that is far too common in feminism.)

And I want to be careful here, because I am *not* saying: Men are oppressed because people don't see the violence done to the guy in this video as a big deal.

Well, I will say something like that: men are oppressed (or, to avoid quibbles about the term "oppression," we could say "systematically mistreated") due a generalized suspension of empathy for them, which is exemplified by this music video. It's the notion that in certain situations, we don't have to see men as human beings anymore. We can send them off to war, leave them on sinking ships or in conflict zones while evacuating the women, perform experiments on them (particularly in the case of minority men), dismiss childhood bullying to them as a natural and inevitable feature of their gender, or beat them up when they cheat on their girlfriends.

Anonymous said...

eric said:
I think, in fact, that more than this video exemplifying how patriarchy hurts men, your reaction to the video exemplifies how sensitive men are about their privilege.

I think that Jeff's reaction shows that he is sensitive about violence towards men, and people condoning abusive attitudes towards men. Any privilege that men have in general does not justify the suspension of empathy towards them or the condoning of violence or abuse towards them, and any privilege that Jeff himself has does not invalidate his moral critique of the music video. You bringing up the notion of Jeff being privileged seems like an evasion of his moral critique.

But violence against a man is not violence against all men, and this video does not seem to imply anything specific about gender rolls.

Violence against a woman in a movie or music video isn't violence against all women, either, but we correctly recognize it to exemplify, and enforce, a misogynistic worldview. Why is it that when the violence is by women to men, then suddenly it just becomes a bunch of isolated incidents that say nothing about attitudes towards men?

Unlike you, I think the music video says a lot about gender roles, and a lot about gender (see my previous post).

As soon as there is one video where the violent power is wielded by a woman over a man we're going to balk?

But it isn't just "one video." There are plenty of media representations that exemplify a lack of empathy towards men, and violence towards them. See Alanis Morissette's parody of the song "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas (yes, maybe some of those men deserve what they get, but do all of them?).

The only thing different here is that a woman is finally the violent one. It's about time. Not for the violence of it, but for the reversed rolls.

She isn't the violent one, it's the guys she hires. She is passive-aggressive, which is stereotypically feminine. I don't see the music video reverse gender roles, but rather playing into them.

Jeff Pollet said...

Sage--

I agree with you that nobody should be taught to be abusive, and part of what you're saying is that we should all recognize that men feel pain, which I agree with too, of course.

On the other hand, I have vivid--VIVID--memories of getting kneed in the crotch in 7th grade, and having it be distinctly *not ok* with anybody involved. My other classmates, of all genders, my teacher, my mom, the girl who kneed me's parents: Everybody took it seriously and nobody made me feel like I shouldn't feel the pain.

Which doesn't mean your points aren't on the money. I just didn't know that such things were thought of as no big deal.

There's also the issue that men who kick other men in the nuts are somehow acting like girls, or fighting unfairly.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Jeff. You're definitely right that this video was unnecessarily violent -- and I'm sorry I didn't respond in the comments. Things have been really busy lately, and I have a shoulder/neck injury that's been keeping me jacked up on painkillers and not particularly astute -- and while that isn't a great excuse, I've been avoiding in-depth posting or commenting all week, so it was nothing personal!

I really appreciate your comments here and at Feministe. You've given me a lot to think about, especially about female-on-male violence and how it's generally more acceptable than male-on-female violence. I'm glad that you've taken the time to flush out all these thoughts in your own space -- it's been a great read. But I hope that as a member of the feminist/feministe community, you'll always feel comfortable bringing up issues multiple times, or even calling me out on my shit.

I'm going to think on this one for a day or two, and hopefully do a decent post once my brain is a little less foggy. Thank you for writing about it.

geo said...

Thanks Jill and Jeff ! I agree with your statements and some of the others as well.

I see two unhealthy messages clearly in what you've all said:

1.) It's ok for a woman to seek violence against a man, and

2.) Men - should be a "man enough" to take violence in general.

It also seems to feed upon the idea that violence can solve problems and is justifiable in general which is problematic to me related to feminism and Men in general.

We all make mistakes! I don't see this as Typical of Feminists - treating Men with disrespect.

Thanks!

Jeff Pollet said...

Jill--
Thanks for your kind response. I more than understand not responding in the comments sometimes--even small amounts of comment moderation become unbelievably time-consuming--but I do appreciate you stopping by here to acknowledge my comment.

As far as bringing up issues multiple times--I sort of take that on a case-by-case basis these days, because context becomes sort of all-important. I don't feel unwelcome to express my views at Feministe; I just didn't feel it was necessary given the context (i.e. a lighthearted FRT post). But again, thanks for saying so. I look forward to hear more of what you have to say about all of this, if indeed you end up posting about it. Good luck with the shoulder/neck stuff.

Jeff Pollet said...

Hugh--
I'm not ignoring you. Commenting on your comments is turning into a post.

Anonymous said...

Jeff said:
I'm not ignoring you. Commenting on your comments is turning into a post.

Looking forward to reading it.

Also, I want to say that it's heartening that Jill has condemned the violence of the music video. (Though it's disheartening that it took your protest to make this happen; I would like to think that feminists are capable of condemning violence and abusive attitudes towards men of their own accord.) My assessment of her attitudes, at least, thankfully turns out to be incorrect, though I don't think my assessment was unfair based on the unqualified positive view she gave of the video initially.

Also, in my original post I made a big deal about how I feel feminism requires men to subordinate their own moral views to feminism (the "check your privilege, shut up, and listen" school of thought). It's also heartening that Jill invites you to bring up issues like this, and I want to acknowledge that her invitation runs counter to my depiction of feminism as silencing to men and requiring of pro-feminist men to march in lockstep.

Geo said:
We all make mistakes! I don't see this as Typical of Feminists - treating Men with disrespect.

Well, this is a mistake made by 19 out of the 21 unique posters in that that thread. There's a pattern here. I don't know if a blindspot towards abusive attitudes towards men is typical of feminists in general, but it appears to be typical of readers of that thread on Feministe. While I don't think treating men with disrespect if necessarily typical of feminists in general, I think it is typical of some strains of feminism.

Jeff Pollet said...

"check your privilege, shut up, and listen"

Even in the few cases where I've been labeled a troll and asked to refrain from further comments, I've not been made to feel this way--at the very least this is an oversimplification.

But then again, if somebody were to tell me this, and it was somebody whose opinion I generally valued, I'd probably give it a try, and see where it led. Sometimes I tell *myself* this because I think it's a tendency of mine to not shut up and listen at various times when doing so would be quite helpful.

Anonymous said...

On the other hand, I have vivid--VIVID--memories of getting kneed in the crotch in 7th grade, and having it be distinctly *not ok* with anybody involved. My other classmates, of all genders, my teacher, my mom, the girl who kneed me's parents: Everybody took it seriously and nobody made me feel like I shouldn't feel the pain.

I have a similarly vivid memory. I was fourteen or fifteen. The (female) teacher who saw it happen took it seriously, but the other children didn't, and I had to make light of it or lose even more face.

There's also the issue that men who kick other men in the nuts are somehow acting like girls, or fighting unfairly.

Which implies that punching someone in the face is fighting fairly.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Actually, I evaluated this whole video from a different perspective than seems to be the general mode. Putting gender aside, for once, is vengance really an empowering action? Is it something to be admired in general? I don't really know about that. I know this is probably the worst place to bring this perspectrive into light, because it is probably irrelavent here, and I'd be hard pressed to actually think of a place where it would be relavent, but this is how I veiwed it. I don't really think that revenge is healthy or ethically sound. I had a huge debate on this matter with a friend of mine some time back, who argued that it was all a matter of degree. To that I agreed only in such extreme cases such as rape, murder, maiming, brutality or kidnapping and the likes. I suppose this isn't a popular veiwpoint, and I won't be surprised if it is shot down, but I don't think that it is nesicarily good for anybody to recieve the message that revenge is a healthy natural response, and will ultimately make you feel good about yourself. If you want to see the article that spawned the conversation between my friend and I, here is the link. http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/sea/274495936.html
I don't think anyone here is going to like the author of this article (I hated him), and it is written from a highly sexist perspective, but I think it illustrates the point I am making.