"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Wednesday, May 09, 2007

More Gender Policing in Comic Strips

Submitted for your perusal:

See, it's funny because he's wearing a dress. Actually, it is sort of funny, mostly because of the expression of frustration (rather than, say, shame) on his face. When I was very little, and we were very poor, my grandmother bought me a snow jacket on sale because I literally didn't have a jacket, and it was snowing where I lived. The one catch: It was bright pink. I'm still disappointed that my mother didn't save a picture of me in that pink jacket. She says that I didn't care one way or another, and she didn't have much of a choice. I sometimes wonder, though, whether that jacket influenced me unduly--I currently have a pink cell phone, for instance.

No comments: