"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Tuesday: Gender in Comics

As usual, click on the comic for a slightly larger version.

Jealous of the Femme Cowboy:

I must admit I find this F-Minus comic funny. The idea that cowboys would wear blinky-light boots (or that there would be adult blinky-light boots at all) is just funny. It would be equally as funny, however, if the blinky-light thing wasn't linked to some sort of femme attribution by said cowboy's leg lift, as if he were kissing a butch sailor who likes his cowboys a bit fey.

Give me a fucking cookie:

Apparently, men clean their homes not because they like to live in clean houses, but rather because it keeps their wives from murdering them. Make a note.

I'm crying because I'm laughing, not because of the mace in my eyes:

I may be the only one here, but I find jokes about women who have to defend themselves against stalkers and rapists with mace to be...how shall I put this...not jokes at all. Even when made by comic-strip women at the expense of possibly perfectly respectable comic-strip men. It seems to me the idea here is that this guy is just asking this woman out, but she refers to her mace--which might actually need to be used against actually violent, stalk-y men, to ward off a guy she doesn't want to give her phone number to. Which, in my mind, is exactly the sort of thing that makes people think stalking is akin to asking somebody out.

Which, y'know, it isn't.

4 comments:

Sweating Through fog said...

Well, I think it's funny, and harmless. An amusing observation that sometimes a simple attempt to make contact can be met with inappropriate fear and hostility.

Jeff Pollet said...

You know, stf, I think one one level it is funny and harmless.

On the other hand, I think, depending on one's experience, it could be funny-because-its-true. Let's say you're an attractive woman who likes to go have a glass of wine after work sometimes, and, if your buddy from work is late, you 'get' to spend an hour saying no to men. Is having to do so a debilitating sort of thing? Maybe not. But it's a freakin' hassle, and in a better world you wouldn't have to.

Also: I tend to shy away from the term 'inappropriate' in many situations, for this reason: It is often used as a sugar-coated version of 'unjustified'. I think that such a response is completely justified in many situations, including ones wherein men who don't read body language very well think that a woman at a bar wants to be asked out by every man there.

Sweating Through fog said...

I used the word inappropriate because of immediate recourse to a threat of violence against a possible annoyance.

Another way to see this as amusing is the guy's conceited presumption that he is so attractive that the woman is just desperate to give him her phone number; the woman's equally conceited presumption is that her beauty is so compelling, so irresistible, that only the treat of violence can deter the passion she provokes.

Jeff Pollet said...

stf: A possible annoyance? I'd say, if she's noting her mace, she's at least annoyed.

There are obviously various ways of seeing this comic (and the guy-being-conceited sort of gels with this character, who is always hitting on women)...all of them tend to reinforce what I consider to be negative gender stereotypes.