"The women of Bikini Kill let guitarist Billy Karren be in their feminist punk band, but only if he's willing to just "do some shit." Being a feminist dude is like that. We may ask you to "do some shit" for the band, but you don't get to be Kathleen Hannah."--@heatherurehere


Wednesday, August 12, 2015

#BuyComicsByWomen August 12, 2015

Running a little experiment where I only buy comics that have a woman who worked on the comic as an artist or writer. This week has some highs and lows, for sure:

Yep Pile:

  • Constantine The Hellblazer #3 (Writer: Ming Doyle   Art: Vanesa Del Rey   Cover: Riley Rossmo) I'm enjoying a non-Vertigo Hellblazer. Never thought that would happen. Nice work folks!
  • DC Comics Bombshells #1(Writer: Marguerite Bennett   Art: Marguerite Sauvage   Cover: Ant Lucia) I just love that this comic happened at all. Can't wait.  
  • JLA Gods And Monsters #1(Letterer: Saida Temofonte  Writer: J. M. DeMatteis   Art: Thony Silas   Cover: Darick Robertson ) I know nothing about this, except that I love DeMatteis. Glad Temofonte is lettering it, so I can read it!
  • Swords Of Sorrow #4(Writer: Gail Simone   Art: Sergio Fernandez Davila   Cover: Tula Lotay) This continues to be a super fun book. I'm not loving the entire set of crossovers, but this centerpiece is solid.  
  • Velvet #11(Cover Colorist: Elizabeth Breitweiser  Writer: Ed Brubaker   Art: Steve Epting   Cover: Steve Epting) I kind of can't believe this isn't a movie yet. Loving this series.  
  • Beauty #1(Writer: Jeremy Haun   Art: Jeremy Haun   Cover: Jenny Frison) This looks like a fucked up, fun read. Not familiar with Haun, but love Frison covers...
  • Injection #4(Colorist: Jordie Bellaire Writer: Warren Ellis   Art: Declan Shalvey   Cover: Declan Shalvey) Ellis on words, Shalvey and Bellaire on art. Can't lose. 
  • Shutter #14(Writer: Joe Keatinge   Art: Leila Del Duca   Cover: Leila Del Duca ) I say it every time, but this is the most underrated series in comics right now. I wish this book got the love that Saga gets.
  • Star-lord And Kitty Pryde #2(Writer: Sam Humphries   Art: Alti Firmansyah   Cover: Yasmine Putri)  This feels like the perfect book for Humprhies. If I can't read Avengers A.I., I'll take this. Putri is growing on me.
  • Secret Wars #5(Writer: Jonathan Hickman   Art: Esad Ribic   Cover: Sophie Campbell) I can't help myself. I hate the whole Doom thing, but they're doing fun stuff in this book.  
  • Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #8(Writer: Ryan North   Art: Erica Henderson   Cover: Erica Henderson) This book makes me wish I was still buying comics at the supermarket from a spinner rack. 
  • A-force #3(Writer: C. Willow Wilson   Art: Jorge Molina   Cover: Jorge Molina) The best thing to come out of Bullshitworld Battleworld.  



Nope Pile

  • It Will All Hurt #3(Writer: Farel Dalrymple   Art: Farel Dalrymple   Cover: Farel Dalrymple) I hate losing out on full-on creator-written-drawn comics, but I think I'll stick to my experiment. 
  • Crossed Badlands #83(Writer: Mike Wolfer   Art: Mike Wolfer   Cover: Christian Zanier) -- 6 covers, no women.  I like the concept of Crossed, in small doses. I get no doses, because there are never any women working on this comic.
  • Mercury Heat #2(Writer: Kieron Gillen   Art: Omar Francia   Cover: Omar Francia ) -- 5 covers, no women.  This one hurts. Sci-fi written by Gillen is difficult to pass up. Can't we get one cover a month by a woman?
  • Providence #3 (Writer: Alan Moore   Art: Jacen Burrows   Cover: Jacen Burrows ) Honestly, I'll probably buy the GN of this, when my experiment is over. It just looks beautiful.  
  • Uber #27 (Writer: Kieron Gillen   Art: Daniel Gete   Cover: Daniel Gete ) -- 5 covers, no women I love the ideas in this book--wish I could pick it up. 
  •  Crossed Plus 100 #7(Writer: Simon Spurrier   Art: Fernando Heinz   Cover: Christian Zanier) -- 7 covers, no women I love Spurrier. But really? Seven covers, no women?
  • Americatown #1(Writer: Bradford Winters   Art: Daniel Irizarri   Cover: Mike Choi ) Looks like this one was written just for me. I haven't read Winters or Irizari before, but I have some FOMO here. 
  • Arcadia #4(Writer: Alex Paknadel   Art: Eric Scott Pfeiffer   Cover: Matt Taylor) So many interesting sci-fi-ish comics out right now. Wish I could read this one.  
  • Abe Sapien #25(Writer: Mike Mignola   Art: Sebastian Fiumara   Cover: Max Fiumara) Mignola is on his millionth comic without any female artists. Not even one cover. I'm missing these books less and less...  
  • Harrow County #4( Writer: Cullen Bunn   Art: Tyler Crook   Cover: Tyler Crook) 
  • Boy-1 #1 (Writer: H.S. Tak   Art: Amancay Nahuelpan   Cover: Zach Howard)  
  • Descender #6(Writer: Jeff Lemire   Art: Dustin Nguyen   Cover: Dustin Nguyen)  
  • Drifter #7(Writer: Ivan Brandon   Art: Nic Klein   Cover: Nic Klein)  
  • Fuse #13(Writer: Antony Johnston   Art: Justin Greenwood   Cover: Justin Greenwood)  
  • Phonogram The Immaterial Girl #1(Writer: Kieron Gillen   Art: Jamie McKelvie   Cover: Jamie McKelvie)  
  • Odyc #6( Writer: Matt Fraction   Art: Christian Ward   Cover: Christian Ward) I may literally weep over not being able to get this one.  
  • Reyn #7( Writer: Kel Symons   Art: Nathan Stockman   Cover: Nathan Stockman) 
  • Star Wars Lando #2(Writer: Charles Soule   Art: Alex Maleev   Cover: TBD ) 
  • Howard The Duck #5(Writer: Chip Zdarsky   Art: Joe Quinones   Cover: Joe Quinones)  




No comments: